This is a great little craft to make any mom who enjoys unwinding in the tub or propped up on the bed with a good book. They are easy to make, are fairly inexpensive and can be made by any child of any age.
What you will need:
- Large men’s sports socks (preferably brand new and they should always be clean and white)
- Flax Seed
- Fabric Paint
- Lavendar or some other essential oil (this is optional)
- Take the large sock and allow your child the time to draw beautiful pictures on the sock.
- Allow the sock to dry completely, it will usually take a day or two for the fabric paint to dry.
- Place funnel in the opening of the sock, and scoop the flax seed into the sock. Leave about a quarter of it unfilled for tying.
- Place in a few drops of essential oil (optional)
- Knot the end of the sock. Do not place anything on the end since these socks will be microwaved later.
- Wrap up and give to mom with the directions.
To use these neck wraps, all mom will have to do is place it into the microwave and warm it for about 30 seconds (possibly longer but it should only be heated in 20 – 30 second increments). After that, simply place it around the neck for a warm compress to sooth aching neck and shoulder muscles. If you prefer cold to heat, you can place it in the freezer for about a half hour or longer and use it as a cold compress.
When I first tried this activity, I wasn’t exactly sure that they were as wonderful as I had been told but I have tried a neck wrap myself and they work wonders. They also hold the heat for a significant amount of time.
This is also a great gift for dad on Father’s Day but we’ll talk about that after Mother’s Day.
-Sirena Van Schaik
Copyright © Uteki