I know that Mother’s Day is still a month away but it can take some time to decide upon (or create) the perfect gift. I wanted to give everyone a chance to get started or to have a few options to choose from so I will be putting up a craft each week until Mother’s Day.
The first craft is very simple and really doesn’t take that much time.
You will need:
- Cement or Plaster of Paris (If you are putting this outside, use cement since it will need to withstand the weather.)
- Mosaic Stones, gems or little charms
- A plastic cake lid from the bakery (the deep round ones or if you can’t find those, purchase some of the round plastic plant trays)
You will also need a bucket and a stick to stir the cement.
How you make them:
- Mix the cement according to the directions on the bag.
- Pour the cement into the cake lid. The amount usually depends on the depth of your cake pan but usually you want to fill it about a quarter full (at least 2 inches)
- Smooth out the top with a stick but also tap it to remove any air bubbles. Be careful when you do this since the dish can crack if you tap it too hard.
- Leave it to set, usually about a half hour to an hour.
- Place your child’s hand in the cement and then allow them to decorate with the mosaic stones, gems and other goodies
- Take a popsicle stick and write your child’s name and age on the stone for memories.
- Allow the cement to set fully in a dry out of the way area. Try to avoid moving them too much since movement can ruin the images. Usually it should take 2 to 3 days for the cement to set.
- Pop out of the dish, wrap and give to mom.
If you would like to color the garden stone, you can either mix cement dye in when you are mixing it or your child can paint an image on. If the stone is being placed in the garden, I would strongly recommend the former since the paint can fade and flake off if left to the elements.
Whether she is a gardener or not, any mother would love to receive one of these beautiful garden stones.
-Sirena Van Schaik
Copyright © Uteki